Saturday, February 17, 2007

Sometimes we fight for the wrong reasons








and people die.

It makes me sad when I think about injustice. Attending the festival in Olustee today brings up mixed feeling for me. I am proud to be a Southerner. I am proud to be a Floridian. I am not proud of the way African Americans have been treated here. I've felt this way all my life. It's just been an inherent feeling for me. It has always given me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. We are all SO much more alike than we are different.
I am a word person. I LOVE language. I love the way words sound. I love the way they feel in my mouth. I love to hear people with different accents speak. So then, when I see words in Latin or French or Spanish or English and compare the similarities between the words, it makes me wonder even more why we insist on being different. Sharing something as basic and necessary as language, the very way we communicate, should cause wonder. It should inspire kinship. Yet, even still today it causes us to fight for the wrong reasons. And people still die.






2 comments:

R.Powers said...

Thanks for taking Jr.
He really enjoyed the day.

threecollie said...

I am enjoying reading your blog...and your comments when you visit mine. Love the photos of the reenactment. I read about it on Hurricane Teen's blog, but I don't think he has pictures yet and it is interesting to see the affair. We have Revolutionary War reenactments here and much enjoy attending to get a sense of the history of our region. thanks